Sunday, December 15, 2013

Nose Hairs Were Frozen!


So my member part of the mission is complete. I have found the awesome member of our ward. He is exactly like me. He loves baseball, he is a stat geek, and he loves the Lakers! And he said I was the best missionary because not only did I like the lakers, but I love baseball too! So as I'm sure you can imagine, we get along amazing!
It has been extremely cold this week. It was -40 for most of the week with the wind chill. You take one breath through your nose and instantly your nose hairs freeze. haha it's awesome! But it makes me appreciate the warm days. Today it is only -15 and it feel amazing! I remember when that made me so cold and now its like I sweat! So it's probably a good thing that I'm adjusting.
Mornings have become a strength for us. We get up at 6 every morning and go to the stake center to play basketball. Its kinda boring for me though because not to brag, but I am by far the only good one there. It's usually just us and both sets of sisters in our district. This week with transfers we got a couple new missionaries. We got a new sister, and she seems like she will be cool and not one of  those nazi sisters. We also got a new zone leader. He is like 6 4 and he is good at basketball. So now we actually have someone that can gaurd Elder G.! He is also a Celtics fan so I'm not sure what I'm going to do about that.
This week for our mormon.org time I came across a talk by Elder Holland. I would encourage everyone to watch it. You won't get as much out of it if you just read it. Watch it. It has easily become my favorite talk by an apostle. Elder Holland is just such a boss. The talk is entitled Safety for the Soul. He is super powerful and just lays down the law haha I love it. It is about his testimony of the BOM. So if you want to be energized, I seriously encourage everyone to watch it.
We also met with a spanish member this week. He is a stud. He went to Mexico on his mission and baptized, wait for it.... 106 people.... What a stud! He also got permission from his mission prez to basically do whatever he wanted. He ended his mission, with the permission of the prez, by proposing to a girl that he barely knew... and she said yes. So they shook hands, he went home the next day, got released and then married her. And then he went on to tell us that he wasn't going to tell us his trunky stories so we didnt get any ideas. Haha it was funny. But we did learn our testimonios en espanol this week. We basically just took lines from PMG and put them in. But mine is super short because we didn't have a lot of time to prepare them, so we can continue to develp them.
We had our ward Christmas party and instead of a dinner we had breakfast, it was really good! We had pancakes with chocolate chips, which is awesome, plus we got a bunch of left overs! Sweet!
Haha and to cap off a great christmas party, Bro. Harvey who i have mentioned in previous emails dressed up in an elf costume. It was so funny! I wish I had my camera at the time. But we took a pic with our phone and he tried avoiding it, but then was a good sport and posed for the picture. Haha what a guy. He is also a Laker fan. So yeah the ward is full of great people.
On Sunday, we tought gospel principles, lesson 38. The lesson, was, Eternal Marriage. So yeah we were super qualified to teach that lesson... not. But it actually went really well and there was some really good discussions that went on(that usually doesnt happen in that class) so I guess we did an okay job. And Then we had the Christmas devotional that night. It was awesome! It was a little cheesy with Elder Nelson but thats okay, it was still good.
Yo se que trabajo misional es muy importante y que trabajo misional de miembros es muy muy importante. I have no idea if that is correct espanol but it sounds Spanishy. It really helps when the members pitch in and do their part and let us teach their friends. It gets really frustrating not having anybody to teach and just finding all day all week. But we have come up with some good finding ideas. We will most likely be doing the 3 on 3 tourney i suggested and hopefully we will be able to scrimmage the High School basketball team (Bro. Harvey is the Head Coach). So if all goes according to plans, we should be teaching lots in no time!
Read the BOM. It's actually a pretty decent book haha. Captain Moroni is by far my favorite so if you don't feel like reading it, just read that part. He is a studly boss too! If only we could all be like him, we would not fall into temptation very often.
Love you all,
Elder Thompson

No comments:

Post a Comment