Sunday, February 2, 2014

You got like 3 feed of air that time!


Now that the weather is back to frigid temperatures, it is once again really slippery.  This week, the weather went from -11 to +6 then +8 to -20. so yeah that's been fun. But it makes it very very slippery. and when I slip and fall I make it count. So don't be surprised if I come home with a broken leg or something, because I always seem to fall hard haha. This past week I fell and it felt like I got 3 feet of air. By the way that quote is from Napolean Dynamite for those of you living under a rock.
There is a sister missionary in our district who thinks she is the smartest thing ever, and I'll admit hse is pretty dang smart. But she kinda throws it in your face. So this weekIi had the wonderful oppurtunity to stump her. Challenge accomplished!
We had a lot of our appointments with less actives and potential investigators cancel this week. One of them had set up and appointment with us for Tuesday at 8 pm. so we showed up, they opened the door and a wave of weed smoke flowed out at us. He said he would invite us in but they were just sitting down for dinner... not jumping to any conclusions... but I could make an educated guess that wasn't what they were doing.
This week we had the opportunity to go up to Whyte Ave for my comps doctors appointment. It was so cool! It was the city kinda feel with the busy street and lots of people on the sidewalks to talk to. I just felt so comfortable in that situation. My comp of course did not. He doesn't really like awkward situations either, so I hope we get to teach the law of chastity together. I think that would be funny watching him. But there were older buildings and yeah stuff like that. I forgot muy camera naturally so that was rather unfortunate. But it was really fun. I hope I get to go to that area or down town during my mission.
Also, we made one last ditch effort to find our keys. We looked for a couple of hours but couldnt find them. So someone must have picked them up and now we are hosed until we get new keys, if we get new keys. Afterwards, to cheer myself up and unfrustrate me we went out for lunch with the Zone leaders. We went to Quizmos and I'm pretty sure that was the first time I have ever been there. I felt like I had been living under a rock myself! I was rather impressed with the quality of the food even if it did make me gassy. I didn't mind but my comp did haha. Luckily we didn't eat out a whole lot this week. We had a dinner appointment everyday this week and we have a dinner scheduled for everyday next week so that is good. I was getting tired of frozen waffles for dinner.
We also spent a lot of time with the Spanish missionaries helping them move some of their investigators and members. it was so cool I got to practice my spanish! I wish I could have gone Spanish speaking here but who knows maybe I'll get switched!
This ward is a really cool ward. But it can be extremely frustrating. For example we went around to almost all the members trying to set up an appointment to get the comp introduced more formally and they would say oh yeah we will sign up for dinner. So we were like cool. Then Sunday comes and they sign up for the sisters... I was pretty upset about it. Times like that just makes me feel so done with this ward. But we have a lot of cool members. We ate with the Ords last night and Bro Ord is this nerdy computer programmer type of guy but he is super cool. And he didn't do too bad on his eternal companion if you know what i mean. I was rather impressed. Then there are the Higgonbothams who we ate with Monday. They told us how they really like Mcdonalds and then 2 days later we saw them there and they paid for lunch! Then there is Bro. Siakaluk. As soon as we walk in the door he gives me sports updates haha. Then he told us how he is on this weight watchers diet now and he is all about the points haha. Quote of the week comes from him "I can't believe you gave me juice" to his wife being sarcastic. Apparently juice is a point killer.
This week during our mormon.org time, I watched two really great videos. One was about Elder Nelson being completely calm when his plane was hurling to its death and the other was about this old couple who still find ways to serve each other even with their severe health issues. They were called Mens Hearts Shall Fail Them and Enduring Love. I would recommend them. Also very important is learning and teaching by the spirit. I have definitely seen a difference when I have the spirit as I study or teach then when I don't. Completely different cases. I came across the story of Joseph in the OT and it is one of my favorite stories, especially how he forgive his brothers. also i was able to come across Alma chapter 5 and it is Alma basically being Elder Holland. If you read that or listen to Elder Holland's talk and you don't feel the spirit, you are doing something wrong. There is no way an uneducated young man could have "written" the Book of Mormon, and then stick with their word in the very hour of death and blaspheme before God. They Would Not Do That. Must mean it is true. If you don't believe so read it for yourself and ask God. If it wasn't, iI wouldn't be wasting my time out in a frozen wasteland filled with "brown people" as the Canadians call them. The Book of Mormon is true and you better believe I know that. Give it a chance ad you will see. As a representative of Jesus Christ I can promise that.
On that note, Have a great week and keep it real!

Elder Thompson

No comments:

Post a Comment