Sunday, August 16, 2015

The Vermillion Fair

Hello everyone, hope you all are enjoying your summer! We had a really great week that went by pretty quick.

The Fair was Thursday through Saturday and we volunteered there all week, and it was awesome! They had Chuckwagon races, Heavy Horse shows, Tractor Pulls, and of course all your normal carnival type things. We literally helped with just about everything. Monday and Tuesday we were getting all the stalls ready, Wednesday we cut down some trees, and then when the fair was going on we were helping out with the heavy horses doing traffic control, opening and closing gates, picking up horse crap... Lots of fun stuff. The town about tripled in size over those three days as well. But it was really cool because we got to work alongside a lot of people in the community and we put in some long hard work and people noticed, so hopefully that will help a bit in the heart softening department. If there was anything that I learned from the fair, it's that Albertans sure are Redneck! And I'm tellin ya, I my as well just become a farmer, I've had a ton of experience with that already since I've been here... but it's been fun and I have enjoyed it.

The great thing about being in a branch is that missionaries are really involved! We get to bless the sacrament each week and we usually teach one of the classes. We also get to give more talks than usual, and ones that are longer than usual. I gave a talk this past Sunday about the blessing of scripture and I think it went pretty good. I spoke for 30 minutes and had to cut some stuff out. Planning a talk with iPads is so much easier than it was before! But I based it off of Elder Christoffersons talk The Blessing of Scripture a few years ago. Read or watch it! It's a good one.

I am really looking forward to this week. It will be the first full week that we can proselyte here and I'm excited because I feel like there is really great potential here. I realize that I don't have a ton of time left, but there is still plenty of time to work hard and see miracles. Even if we can't find a couple families to baptize while I'm here, if we are able to get the work back on its feet here and on its way, then I would be able to live with that. But you best believe we will be working our butts off to find people to baptize. I would love to see this branch become a ward in the future.

Scripture of the week is Omni 26
"26 And now, my beloved brethren, I would that ye should come unto Christ, who is the Holy One of Israel, and partake of his salvation, and the power of his redemption. Yea, come unto him, and offer your whole souls as an offering unto him, and continue in fasting and praying, and endure to the end; and as the Lord liveth ye will be saved."

Quote of the week is from Reggie White
"God places the heaviest burden on those who can carry its weight."
Who He calls, He upholds! Life isn't easy, but God can help. All we have to do is trust in him and let him take the reins.

Keep it real,
Elder W.Chad Thompson

No comments:

Post a Comment