Sunday, August 16, 2015

Vacation? Right Now?

Hello Family and Friends! I hope this finds you all doing well and that you have had a great week! If not, tell me about it. If you did, tell me about it! (Yes I'm soliciting emails from you)

Not much has happened out here in Vermilion. We are still just trucking along. Most of the members are on vacation for the majority of this month (Canadian Logic: let's leave our country when it's actually nice and habitable and not freezing cold!) so there is even less people at church. This week in our third hour we were asked to teach, but the only other person their was a older man nicknamed old faithful. Great guy with an even greater heart, but unfortunately the effects of age have gotten to him, and he is going a bit insane. So that was fun! New experiences every day out here, which isn't a bad thing I suppose. 

So my companion and I have been praying for miracles as we work hard and are diligent, and also the ability to recognize the small miracles in our every day lives. And we had one yesterday! So with all the members being gone, including our most dedicated meal providers, not a soul touched the dinner calendar this Sunday. yesterday we were making some phone calls to some less active members of the church trying to set up some appointments. We got a hold of this guy(a miracle in and of itself) who said he was busy at the moment and said he would call us back. Now, as a missionary, that has come to be known as the "I have no intention of calling you back, and even if I do it is so small I will forget, I'm just using this to get you off my back, etc." People unfortunately tend to use that more often than not to get us off their backs instead of just telling us they don't want to see us. So we take that as knowing we will probably have to call them back. Well this guy was actually legit! He called us back last night and not only set up an appointment, but offered to feed us dinner as well! So we are excited to get to go and meet him  and his family and not get shutout completely on meals for the week. Some may say there are no miracles in this day and age, but I say to those nay sayers that they are wrong. Smaller miracles are miracles nonetheless :)

We have been walking around town to save kilometres this week and it has been a good experience for the most part. We have only had one derogatory comment made at us, the infamous "f-you Mormons." But most people wave when we do, so it has been pretty good. Lots of really nice religious people here, I love it! And of all things in tiny Vermilion, there is even a free mason church. 

This past week we also got to travel in to Sherwood Park for our Zone Training Meeting and exchanges with the Zone Leaders, and I'll be honest, it felt pretty weird being on the opposite side of that one. But it was good, I really enjoyed it! I even made it through the sister training leaders discussion ;) haha no that was good as well. I only joke because the quote of the week comes from a member in Sherwood Park, who is a somewhat recent returned sister missionary, so take that into account. She said "sisters are a high risk investment. They are either amazing missionaries, or... you really wish you had elders!" 

I didn't plan on having another quote until early this morning so I'll put it in. My comp will sometimes say a few words in his sleep before it wakes him up and this morning he only said 2, but it was hilarious. He said "huh?" Then he shouted  "EH? Haha I almost rolled out of my bed I was laughing so hard. And the best part is, he doesn't remember it at all! Canada just gets to you sometimes, you know?


Scripture of the week is Romans 1:16
"16 For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth;" 
After having been a witness of the amazing peace and joy that comes from the Gospel of Christ, why would anyone be ashamed of the very thing Lehi called "sweet, above all I ever before tasted...for I knew that it was desirable above all other fruit." Sadly enough, it does happen and Satan can get us all if we aren't careful. Consider this question: Are you ashamed to be a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints when hostility arises and those around you begin to poke fun at the things you cherish? The church has need of more courageous men and women, boys and girls who will stand up for the things they know to be true. I invite you to continually strengthen your testimony so that we all can say, as did Paul, "I, am not ashamed of the Gospel of Christ."

Keep it real,
Elder W.Chad Thompson

No comments:

Post a Comment